POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A modest proposal : Re: A modest proposal Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:26:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A modest proposal
From: Ken
Date: 26 Jul 1999 02:42:47
Message: <379C02D6.1A51296D@pacbell.net>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> In povray.general Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote:
> :   It would be nice if it were possible to
> : decompose every object into triangles to within specified tolerances
>
>   Is it possible for any object type in povray?
>   What about the infinite objects (planes, polys...)? How do you make an
> infinite triangle?
>   What about csg?

  Wouldn't it also add greatly to the memory overhead for the program. I
recall reading that the reason the developers of pov originally decided to
use the mathematically derived primitives unlike the triangle model is because
it is both faster and less memory intensive to create. 3ds max to create
an equivalent smooth sphere without using surface normal smoothing requires
1000's of triangles to represent. It would surely limit the number of
objects you could include in your scene if you had low memory on your system
and even those with more memory would max out rather quickly with only 10's
to a few hundred objects. I'm not saying you shouldn't or can't add this
feature though I wonder at it's usefulness.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/links.htm